Thursday 22 May 2014

Last Words and First Day

'I may be some time.' The last words I said to my mother. The hardest of goodbyes. One after the other. First to Mum then to Dad. Two rocks. How I managed not to break I do not know. 'I'm just going out and I may be some time' These words are not mine. These are the last words spoken to the courageous Captain Scott and his team by Lawrence Oates as he walked to his death never to be seen again. (Look this tale up if you do not know it.)

My last words may not be for as a dramatic time as his but I felt that they conveyed to my Mum what I was trying to say. 'Fitting', is probably a better word to describe it.  Not knowing when I'll be back they were the best ones to use. The words dyed in my throat as I tried to speak them but my mum, as ever, was there for me, to finish my sentence. I must be braver in the coming months. I must be able to finish my own sentences at least!

To steal another quote, this one from History Boys 'The best moments in reading are when you come across something - a thought, a feeling, a way of looking at things - which you had thought special and particular to you. And now, here it is, set down by someone else, a person you have never met, someone even who is long dead. And it is as if a hand has come out, and taken yours' Words traverse time and space. I may drop clues to people when I'm speaking to them. For example Emily may have been sad enough to think of Dr.Who with the words 'time and space.' Anyway....although I am not with you in person, I am with you when you read this. When you read my posts I am there. These words and thoughts are mine, but they are for you.

In terms of bravery what I'm doing requires little to none compared to the adventurers of old. These men who had no maps, correct food, technology or help. These men, these fantastic men, decided the world was there to explore and went and did it not knowing what would happen. As Dr.who said 'humans are brilliant, just brilliant, because they see something and decide to explore it because they can.' I try to compare myself to these explorers: Shackleton,Scott, Oates, John Franklin, Roald Amundsen, Colombus, Simpson. That in the face of death they decided 'not today.' Or in some cases still did die...I know I'm romanticising what will happen to me. As I'll get to Bangkok, get a minibus, hotel, bus, beach. So not quite an adventure but it's something that I need to be brave about. I wish everyone could join me on this exploration and hear peoples story's but I hope with this blog I'll manage to document people and their own tales. This way you can learn as much as me.

I hope you will join me as much as you can.

Ah yes. Some people maybe wondering what I actually did when I got to Bangkok. Flight was okay. Bought food for the first leg to Finland as I didn't think I was gonna get any lunch. Trolley dolly came round and said 'Tuna or Meat' Not any type of meat just meat. So thought why not? What was given to me can only be described as a cow pat sliced in two with cat vomit in it. Tasted like it as well. Lucky I bought that food... You get what you pay for I suppose. One huge plus of the long haul flight was that it was empty. I had a whole row of 4 seats to myself. So I stretched out and relaxed and was still unable to sleep!

I got into Bangkok airport at 7 and into Bangkok at 9 because the traffic was appalling. Checked into a hotel and went and got some lunch. After that I came back and promptly fell asleep for three hours, after only saying I'll sleep for one hour max! I then wanted to go to the massive shopping mall 'mbk'. Don't ask me what it stands for!

As a good boy I thought to save money I'll get the bus there. Number 15 I was told. Or was it number 55? Can't really tell. As I was being told by some random Indian bloke that I have good karma and am intelligent. (Wanting to read my fortune for money) The front desk lady caught up with me and told me 'Number 15' You wouldn't get that customer service in sweltering 35 degree heat in England. Well you wouldn't get 35 degree heat in England much anyway. So I waited for 20 minutes. Buses came and went none of which were correct. I was about to go and get a taxi then this Spanish bloke gave up also and we chatted and walked away from Kha San road (tourist trap) to share a taxi to the shopping centre.

We went and did what we wanted to do together then went our seperate ways which was nice. It made me more relaxed in this somewhat alien environment. After I was finished in MBK in this city of opportunity and of many wonders. What do I do? The world at my feet. I can do anything! So with that in mind, for four hours, I played football. From 5-9. It was brilliant. Only English guy there but football traverses all language. It was one goal on-off. By the end when I told some of the people that I was going to Pattaya and then Cambodia. They were saying 'no,no,no' 'stay and play football' after that I went and ate like a loner. Then got a taxi back to my hotel and fell asleep. As I'm writing this I'm on the mini bus to Pattaya. Beach town.


 As I mentioned above I am with you:http://youtu.be/ju2Q9qujEo8 (Couldn't find a proper version on my phone)

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written. And similarly as you read this you know that as I write, I am sure Mum, Phillip, Captain, Moo are all with you too.
    Your maturity of prose is lovely to read with a little quirk of humour.
    This is just the beginning....

    ReplyDelete